Imagine the delightful surprise when your family or guests dig into this scrumptious chocolate dessert and find not only a rich velvet cake, but a creamy chocolate sauce underneath it all… yum!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour/plain flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar/caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 oz. chocolate
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pecans halves or pieces
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, coffee granules and salt. Set aside.
- Melt 1 square of the chocolate with the butter and set that aside as well.
- Mix the vinegar and milk to make sour milk then add the vanilla. Stir that into the chocolate mixture.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients all at once. Stir until thoroughly blended.
- Add the pecan pieces to the brown sugar and blend until they are evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into a deep round or square pan that has been greased.
- Sprinkle the pecan/brown sugar mixture over top of the batter.
- Into the boiling water, add the remaining chocolate. Stir till completely melted. Pour over the top of the batter.
- Bake in a 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4 oven for 45 – 50 minutes. Serve warm, topped with heavy cream, whipped cream or even ice cream. Mmmmmm!
Serves 8 – 10