This fantastic chocolate cherry cake is so easy it does not even require a mixer. It can be made by hand with ease still turning out light and fluffy. The addition of the cherries makes this cake absolutely the best around!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour/plain flour
- 11⁄2 cups sugar/caster sugar
- 1 jar maraschino cherries with the juice
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso (optional)
- 2⁄3 cups melted shortening or oil
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups cold water/cherry juice (all the drained juice plus enough water to make up the 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4
- In a 9″ x 13″ pan, sift the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Chop the maraschino cherries coarsely and put into the pan with the dry ingredients. Mix to coat the cherries.
- Make 3 holes, one each for vinegar, oil and vanilla.
- Pour the water/cherry juice combination over all of it.
- Mix well with a fork. No need to beat.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until done. Cool in the pan.
- When the cake is cooled, top with the cherry pie filling. Add whipped cream over the cherry pie filling (optional). Cut, serve and enjoy!