I am very much in a lazy mood with my cooking just now and this Chippy Curry Meatballs Pie is an example of just that style of things. Now there is a little more in there than the title may suggest so that it makes a complete dinner. Only a little though so read on for the recipe.
This is something that only takes a few minutes to prepare yet makes a perfectly good dinner.
It is truly a lazy recipe yet this Chippy Curry Meatballs Pie is also very tasty. It takes a few simple ingredients mixed together then cooked in the oven. Perfect for dinner.
- 2 400g/14oz cans Meatballs in Gravy
- 1 jar Curry Sauce
- 200g/7oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 450g/1lb frozen chips
- Set the oven to heat to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6
- Grab 4 oven proof tins that are about 20cm/8in in diameter and about 2½cm/1in deep. The one pictured is actually from a Fray Bentos pie that I previously had bought, eaten then saved the tin complete with lid.
- Layer the mixed vegetables into the base of each tin. This part is slightly unpredictable when using frozen mixed vegetables because all the supermarkets have slightly different ways. They all still work for the final meal though.
- Add in about 6 meatballs to the centre of each of the tins. This will be very likely to leave some leftover meatballs so be sure to store them safely.
- Spoon 2-3 Tbsp of curry sauce in. It should cover the vegetables. Might be more curry sauce in the jar than is needed so seal the jar and put in the fridge.
- Sprinkle the frozen chips onto the top. How many you choose to use is down to you and the appetite of the people who will be eating the finished pie.
- Put all 4 pies into the oven and cook for about 30 minutes. Turn after about 15 to make sure that everything is cooking evenly.
- The easiest way to serve is to just take the pies from the oven, put them on a plate and then serve to the table. Clearly be very careful if serving in this way because the pie container will be hot. The alternative is to spoon out onto a a plate for serving purposes. I prefer the first because it gives the meal more visual appeal.
- Now finished so sit down to eat and enjoy.
Cetainly far from being one of my greatest recipes. Yet it can be quickly and easily prepared so is a great one for times when food is wanted in a hurry.