Croutons are very easy to make but are a delicious alternative to bread for both salads and soups. Making them can also be a good way to use up bread that has gone slightly stale.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
- handful mixed salad
- 2 slices chicken roll
- 1 large mushroom
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- About 5 tsp Vinaigrette
- Make up some vinaigrette. 1 tsp of your preferred vinegar, 4 tsp olive oil, a little salt and pepper plus any additional flavours that tempt. I used mint and mustard for this one. Put in the fridge to chill.
- Cook up some croutons. Dice 1 or 2 slices of bread then fry for a few minutes until crisped. Drain off any excess oil then set aside to cool.
- Grab a handful of mixed salad and shred. Put into a serving bowl and spread evenly over the base.
- Slice the mushroom and add to the bowl.
- Halve the tomatoes and put into the bowl.
- Pour the vinaigrette over. Mix into the salad if preferred. I just poured it on.
- Slice the chicken roll and scatter the pieces over the salad base.
- Add some croutons
- Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy.
It is very easy to change the flavour of this chicken salad. Simply vary the vinaigrette. I used mint and mustard on this occasion but the possibilities are endless. Just choose one that you like and use that.
The flavour of the croutons can be varied too by changing the herbs, spices or type of oil that are used to fry them.