The finished result can be varied by changing the base salad mixture of lettuce and cabbage. Different combinations will produce a variation in the final flavour.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
- A handful of shredded mixed salad. Use what is available but crunchy lettuce plus white and red cabbage are very tasty.
- 25g/1oz sliced Chicken
- 1 small brown Onion
- 1 small Carrot
- 2-3 Tbsp cooked Sweetcorn
- 3-4 Tbsp Red Kidney Beans
- 1-2 tsp Wine or Cider Vinegar
- 5-6 tsp Olive Oil
- (Optional) Mustard
- Put the salad into a bowl. The one that you plan to eat from is sufficient if this is only being made for one person.
- Spoon the kidney bean and sweetcorn into a fine sieve then rinse well. Set aside to allow excess water to drain off.
- Cut the sliced chicken into thin strips then add onto the top of the salad.
- Peel and chop the onion then add in to the bowl.
- Grate carrot to taste onto the top of the bowl. Put any that is leftover into the fridge.
- Add in the vinegar and the oil then sprinkle with a little salt followed by pepper.
- If using the mustard then spoon a little in to suit your taste.
- Use a fork to mix together so that the oil and vinegar are forming a vinaigrette. Add extra to get the flavour that you like best but avoid mixing for too long.
- Empty the kidney beans and the sweetcorn into the bowl with the rest of the salad. Mix well so that they combine with all the other ingredients and become well immersed into the vinaigrette.
- Food is ready and can be eaten straight from the bowl if everything was prepared in a serving bowl. Just add a little more salt and pepper to taste.
- Eat and enjoy
Add some chunks of crusty bread and this starts to turn into a dinner rather than a lunch. It may need coleslaw or potato salad served as well to get to be filling enough for a full dinner though.
I used canned kidney beans and sweetcorn on this occasion and both had been in the fridge so were already chilled and ready for a salad.