Combining pickled onions and mustard may seem strange. It works to make this Cheese, Pickled Onion and Mustard Toastie yet another Great British Butty though.
Different flavours can be got by changing the type of mustard or the variety of pickled onions.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 2 slices Wholemeal Bread
- Sliced Cheese
- 2 or more Pickled Onion
- Wholegrain mustard
- Butter or Olive Spread
- Toast the bread to your preferred level of brownness. It is easiest done in a toaster though do keep watch on it. Mine can certainly be erratic in its cooking and occasionally burn the bread.
- While the bread toasts, slice sufficient cheese to cover a single slice. How thick you want to slice the cheese is up to you which is why there is no specific amount amount given. I prefer to do fairly thin slices.
- Slice 1 or 2 large pickled onions. The larger ones are best. Use more if the amount looks to be too little.
- Bread now toasted so thinly spread butter onto one side of each of the toasted wholemeal bread slices. Olive spreads make a good alternative and is my preference. Either will melt if the toast is still hot when spreading but no problem with that.
- Spread the wholegrain mustard onto one of the slices. Use as much or as little as you prefer but be sure to have checked the strength of the mustard before using.
- Layer slices of cheese over the mustard then scatter over the sliced pickled onions. Add some salt if desired.
- Cover with the other slice of bread then cut into halves and serve on a plate.