Just like its breadsticks counterpart, these cheese fingers are a delightful twist as an accompaniment on the dinner table.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour/plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch cayenne pepper – to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening/butter
- 4 Tablespoons grated cheese
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, cayenne and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives… or you can put the whole thing in a food processor and pulse.
- Add the cheese and add enough cold water to hold the mixture together.
- Roll out on a floured board to 1⁄4 inch thickness. Cut into very thin strips with a knife.
- If you like, you can roll each strip until it has become rounded like a breadstick.
- Bake in a 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4 oven for 25 minutes or until done.
Yield 50 fingers