I’ve been a big fan of them for quite a few years now and this Cheese, Chicken, Mushroom and Tomato Sarnie was a great example of the kind that I like.
For those unfamiliar with the word then let me define a ‘sarnie’. It is the word used in the part of England that I am from to mean a sandwich. Normally they are closed up and eaten with fingers. I like them better open just like this recipe and eaten with a knife and fork.
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 1 slice cheese
- 1 slice chicken roll
- 1 large mushroom
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- Spread some mustard onto each slice of bread
- Top with a little mayonnaise then place the bread onto a serving plate.
- Place the cheese onto one slice and the chicken roll onto the the other.
- Slice the mushroom and divide between the slices.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and place alongside.
- Add a little more mayonnaise on the top plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Eat and enjoy.
- Bread -5p
- Cheese -5p
- Chicken Roll – 3p
- Mushroom – 4p
- Cherry Tomatoes – 6p
- Mustard – 1p
- Mayonnaise -1p
- Sakt and pepper – negligible
Total cost for lunch for 1 – 25p