Caramel Frosting is a great topping for Devil’s Food Cake. Of course it can be used on any cake of your choice! Delicious, tasty and creamy with just the perfect hint of caramel flavor to satisfy everyone’s sugar desires.
Frosts a 2 layer cake
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar/caster sugar
- 1 cup sour cream or milk
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- heavy cream
- Combine the sugars and the sour cream in a large saucepan.
- Cook slowly until the sugars are dissolved.
- Cook until a little of the mixture dropped into cold water forms a soft ball.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter and the vanilla.
- Let the saucepan feel warm to the touch before you begin to beat the frosting.
- Beat until very stiff, then add enough cream, while beating, to make it into a spreading consistency.
Makes enough to frost and fill a 2 layer cake.