Brown Rice and Veggies Bowl is a treat and comfort food for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.
The subtle yet powerful flavors of this dish will make you feel “oh so good” for the whole day.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (long grain or short grain)
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 cup broccoli florets very small
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup small sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup minced or diced onions
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small diced tomato
- ¼ cup tamari (soy-based sauce)
- ¼ cup tomato pureé
- 2 Tablespoons finely minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon finely minced ginger
- 1 garlic clove minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the rice according to directions.
- In a large skillet, place the oil and sauté the mushrooms until soft. Add the diced tomatoes, minced garlic, onions, carrots and broccoli to the sautéed mushrooms. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger, tamari and tomato pureé to the cooking vegetables.
- Stir and add the drained black-eyed peas
- Remove from heat and add the minced cilantro. Stir well.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the hot rice to the vegetables, mix and serve immediately.
As a change of pace, you can substitute cooked barley in lieu of the rice.