This delicious broccoli cheese soup is so easy to make and it feels good going down too.
- ½ medium chopped onion
- ¼ cup flour
- 5 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups/500ml half-and-half (single cream)
- 2 cups/500ml chicken stock
- 1 head broccoli, cut up – approx. ½ pound/225g
- 1 cup/150g julienned carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
- 8 ounces/225g grated cheese, sharp cheese is a good choice *
- In a large stockpot, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the chopped onion and Sauté until soft. Set aside.
- Melt the remaining 4 Tablespoons of butter and add the flour. Whisk over medium heat approx. 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly then slowly add the half-and-half (single cream).
- Add the chicken stock and continue to whisk.
- Bring slowly to a boil then simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and the sautéed onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender and the soup thickened – about 20-30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper then allow to cool a little.
- Pour 2 – 3 cups of the soup into the blender. Blend until the consistency of a puree. Set the first batch aside then continue to blend the remainder in the same way. Return all the blended soup to the pot. Alternatively, use a hand blender right in the pot to puree the soup.
- Bring the pureed soup back to near boiling then remove from the heat. Add the grated cheese and stir until it is melted and the soup is well blended.
- Stir in the nutmeg (optional) and serve.
- Accompany this delicious soup with a good rustic bread.
* For a variety of flavors, try crumbling a Stilton, Danish Blue or other Blue Cheese instead of using the sharp cheddar cheese.