OK, enough of me wittering on and lets move on to the actual recipe.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
- 450g/1lb Mixed Vegetables (see below)
- 1 medium Brown Onion
- 200g/8oz canned Pinto Beans (about ½ a can)
- 250ml/½ pint/1 cup Cheese Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Spoon the pinto beans from the can then rinse well. Put into the steamer pot.
- Peel then slice the onions into largish chunks and add to the pot.
- Prepare the vegetables. Frozen are quick and easy because they just need to be added. Fresh take some preparation. Either way, use a mixture of your favourites. I used broccoli, sweetcorn, brussels sprouts, carrot and turnip because that was what I had available. Note that I did the carrot and turnip as julienne strips so that they would steam at the same rate as the other veggies.
- Steam for 15-20 minutes until the beans are heated and the vegetables are tender.
- Prepare the cheese sauce as the other ingredients steam. It should take about the same length of time to prepare the sauce as the vegetables take to steam. If ready early then simply keep warm while the veggies finish cooking.
- Take the veggies from the steamer and place into a bowl. Pour in the cheese sauce and mix well to ensure that all is combined.
- Separate into two serving bowls then sprinkle with a little paprika. Eat with some crusty bread.
Well Groenten met Kaas is a strange name for most to see. Check out this Tagliatelle recipe from Albert Heijn though make sure you have google translate switched on. Not the same thing as here but it is similar.