Baked potato always makes for a substantial meal and the addition of this filling adds some of the other nutrients that are necessary for everyone. Serve this beany baked potato with a mixed salad or some Red Coleslaw for a very filling meal.
- 1 medium to large baked potato
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 large mushroom
- Half an onion
- Mixed Herbs
- 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine
- Half a tin of baked beans
- Black pepper
- (Optional)25g Strong Cheese grated
- Peel the onion then chop to your taste. I find smallish pieces give a better result.
- Coarsely chop the tomato.
- Cut the mushroom into smallish pieces
- Place in a bowl and add the butter
- Microwave for around 1 minute then stir the vegetable mixture so that the butter ends up completely melted. If you prefer your vegetables soft then return the mixture to the microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in the beans. Baked beans work for this but any white bean would be suitable. Kidney beans also work for me but almost any kind should be good. Add some ketchup, tomato paste or similar sauce to the mixture if using beans that are not in a sauce.
- Add a very generous pinch of mixed herbs plus salt and pepper to taste then return the mixture to the microwave to heat the beans. It should take around two minutes depending on the power of your microwave.
- While the mixture heats, halve the jacket potato and scoop out the inner flesh.
- Once the bean and vegetable mixture is hot, carefully spoon into the potato skins then pile the scooped out potato flesh on top.
- Optionally top with grated cheese which can be browned under a grill if desired
This Beany Baked Potato makes a delicious meal for one yet can easily be expanded for more. It works for either lunch or dinner too. Just add more salad if serving as a dinner!