Bean and Peanut Croquettes are one of the most interesting ways to enjoy a complementary protein meal. Delicious and easy to make.
- 2 cups Baked Beans
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp chopped green pepper
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose/plain flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup/125g roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 cup/150g bread crumbs
- In a food processor, pulse the beans until combined into a pulp. Be sure to leave the salt pork out of the baked beans for vegetarian croquettes.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the onion and green pepper. Saute until slightly browned. Add flour and tomatoes. Cook stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add the bean pulp, peanuts, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs. Mix thoroughly. Mold into croquettes.
- Roll in beaten egg diluted with a little bit of water. Roll into the breadcrumbs. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Deep fry in oil at a temperature of 375°F/190°C until brown – drain. OR you can bake in a 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4 oven for 20-25 minutes until brown.