This version differs from tradition because it is cooked in a steamer with a slightly unusual way of preparing the mash. The result is somewhat lumpy potato because using the chips falls short of an actual mash. It comes very close though and the lumps can always be mashed with a fork once on the plate.
Check it out because the final result is very tasty.
- 4-6 Sausages (any variety)
- Plate of frozen Chips
- Handful frozen Carrots
- Handful Frozen Green Beans
- Gravy Granules
- Fill the steamer with enough water for 30-40 minutes of cooking.
- Put the chips into the first basket then set it onto the steamer base. Use a quantity that suits for what will end up eaten.
- Put the sausages into the second basket. The exact quantity depends on the size of the appetite of those dining. Personally, I would fill this basket so that I had some sausages leftover for the following day or two. Set over the chips.
- Put the carrots and the green beans into the third basket. Set over the sausages.
- Cover then switch on to cook for about 30 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, turn the gravy granules into gravy following the pack instructions. I use a regular size mug to do this because it is a fairly accurate measure of the amount of water needed.
- Carefully stand the gravy on top of the steamer to thicken. The heat keeps it warm during the final few minutes of cooking too.
- Once everything is fully cooked then it is time to serve. Be careful because there will still be steam about even after the steamer is switched off.
- Divide everything from the steamer between two serving plates then pour on gravy. Serve with salt and pepper to hand to season as desired.
Be wary of what is included in the frozen chips. The ones I used had 4% oil for instance. That is acceptable because it is similar to adding butter when mashing regular potato.
Other brands can contain more oil. Worse still, they can contain known allergens such as wheat.
So take care with choice of brand if using this method to make mashed potato.
- 6 Sausages – 30p
- Frozen Chips – 10p
- Green Beans – 10p
- Carrots – 10p
- Gravy – 3p
Total cost for a meal for 2 – 63p