Nothing like some good and stodgy British food and this is just one of those absolute delights. Bangers, Eggs and Beans on Toast is one of those truly delicious British meals that can be eaten at virtually anytime of the day.
The ones pictured were true Bangers too because they did explode as they were being fried! That is never going to spoil the end result though. Simply cook, eat and enjoy.
More Stodgy but Fun British Food. This one was definitely 'Bangers' when I cooked it because the sausages di explode a little. To be expected really because that is why us in the UK call them Bangers.
- 4 large Sausages (any style)
- 2 large Eggs
- ½ 400g/14oz tin vegetarian Baked Beans (see note)
- 4 large Mushrooms, about 2.5cm/1inch across or about 10 smaller Button Mushrooms
- 2 large Bread Rolls
- Soya or Sunflower Oil
- Brown Sauce
- Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the sausages to the now hot oil. Fry, turning frequently, so that they are beginning to brown.
- As they cook, either chop large mushroom into chunks or just use whole for smaller ones. Add to the pan with the now browning sausages.
- Continue to fry until the sausages are an even brown. Exact level to suit your taste because I prefer a lighter cook while others like them to be quite dark.
- While they finish cooking, put the beans into a microwavable bowl. Cover and set to heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring about halfway through. Split the buns and toast.
- Remove the sausage and mushrooms from the pan. Drain on kitchen paper then keep warm.
- If the frying pan looks a little short on oil then add a little more and bring up to frying temperature. Crack the eggs into the hot oil and fry until cooked through. use your own preference here. Some like them 'sunny side up' and crisp at the edges. I prefer to keep the edges just white and bring the hot fat over the top so a white film forms over the yolk.
- Butter the toasted bread and place onto a plate. Add 2 sausages and ½ the mushrooms to each plate.
- Carefully remove the cooked eggs from the oil, shaking gently to remove excess oil. Place onto one of the bread roll pieces on each plate.
- Divide the baked beans onto the other piece of bread roll.
- Ready to serve. Just add salt, pepper and brown sauce. Use Tomato ketchup if you really must.
The reference to using Vegetarian Baked Beans is aimed at US readers. Their retailers have this strange idea that they nead to include pork. We in the UK just make them them from beans and a tomato sauce. Your choice at the end of the day but my intention with this is the straight beans without the pork.