It could have also been called Bangers and Mash+ but then we would have lost a fancy sounding name 🙂
Sausages with a mash of potato, cabbage and leek. Finished with a serving of gravy.
It is well worth a try.
Cooking Time: 45 mins
- 8 Sausages, preferably Irish
- Get the Colcannon started by preparing the ingredients in the recipe given. Start them cooking while moving ahead.
- Cook the sausages using your preferred method. That can be grill, fry or oven cook to name three. I tend to steam because they can be just left to cook though they never brown. The oven is also good because they can also just go in to cook without needing any attention.
- Finish off the colcannon then set aside to keep warm.
- Make up a gravy of your choice. I tend to use the tubs of granules because that is easy. Depends on the flavour of the mix as to whether it needs some added flavour. I sometime use mint, rosemary or paprika.
- Once the the sausages are cooked then put two onto each of four serving plates.
- Divide the colcannon between the four plates.
- Either pour on the gravy then serve that way or have the gravy in a boat to put on the table. Either way, ready to serve.
- Finish off with a light sprinkling of salt and pepper then eat and enjoy.
For something more substantial then extra vegetables could be served. Yorkshire pudding as another possibility with slices of bread to mop up the gravy after the meal is eaten.