Baked Beans are everyone’s favorite. This can be made vegetarian simply by the omission of the pork in the recipe. Make this recipe the next time you bring some food to a picnic.
They will love you for it!
- 2 cups dried beans, peas, limas or kidney
- ½ cup cubed salt pork (omit if you want this dish vegetarian)
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ teaspoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Rinse beans in a colander with cold water. Cover with cold water and soak the beans for 12 hours. Drain. Now cover with salted boiling water.
- Simmer slowly for 1½ hours. Drain. Put in a greased baking dish or a bean pot with the salt pork scattered in.
- Mix the molasses, mustard, pepper, salt and 2 cups of hot water. Add to the beans. Dot with the butter.
- Cover and bake in a 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4 oven until the beans are soft… about 3 hours.
- Uncover the last 30 minutes of cooking to brown the beans.
This recipe can also easily be made in a slow cooker. Follow the directions above but place in a slow cooker on low instead of the oven for at least 12 hours.