The effect that you get can be varied according to the bread used. I prefer slices from a thickly sliced wholemeal loaf. Others prefer to get thicker slices from an initially unsliced loaf.
Still tastes great so pick your bread and grab the can of beans.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
- 1 large Bread Loaf
- 400g/14oz can Baked Beans
- Butter or Olive Spread
- Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
- Empty the can of baked beans into either a microwaveable bowl or small pan.
- If using an unsliced loaf then cut 4-6 slices. If using one that is ready sliced then grab the same number of slices from the bread packet.
- Start the bread toasting. Thicker pieces from an unsliced loaf are better done under the grill/broiler. Sliced bread is easier to do in a toaster.
- Set the baked beans on to heat. About 4 minutes in the microwave or use a lowish heat on the hob to heat them through. Be sure to cover if using the microwave and to stir frequently if using the hob.
- Butter the toasted bread with your choice of spread. Put one slice into the middle of a serving plate. Cut a second slice in half and arrange at the edge.
- Evenly spoon the baked beans onto the middle piece of toasted bread.
- Serve and Enjoy
As per usual, I have been using the UK style of baked beans. The ones sold in the US frequently include pork. Those can obviously be used but take away from the vegetarian label on this recipe.