Delicious, buttery shortbread becomes even better with the inclusion of almonds… mmmmm!
- 1 pound ground almonds
- 8 ounces granulated sugar/caster sugar
- 8 ounces sifted all-purpose flour/plain flour
- 8 ounces butter
- 8 egg yolks (save the egg whites for another recipe)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Mix together the ground almonds and the flour.
- Melt the butter and add the almond extract. Beat the egg yolks and add the butter mixture to it as well.
- In a mixing bowl, using the beaters, place all the ingredients together and mix very well. Continue to mix until it becomes a paste and the mixture gathers into a ball.
- This dough should now resemble creamy satin.
- Roll out the dough until it is 1⁄4 inch thick. Cut into squares with a knife or you can use cut out cookie cutters. Reuse any scraps and roll them out again.
- Place the cookies on a lightly greased baking sheet or a Silpat. If you like, you can place 1⁄2 of a blanched almond in the center of each cookie.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4 oven for 10-12 minutes or until lightly yellow. Do not brown these cookies!